Terrain and Snow
Situated in the deep powder snow belt of the Cariboo Mountains, the most significiant and uncomparable feature of this terrain is the long, steep, naturally gladed tree skiing surrounding the lodge. Huge pillow lines, hucks and ramps provide expert to intermediate skiers and boarders alike with options to experience the powder skiing of their dreams.
- Tenure area encompasses more than 10,000 hectares
- Tree line to valley runs average 550m and summit descents
- Glades, chutes, glacier, technical alpine summits and descents
- Ideal terrain for snowboarding due to steep consistent fall
- Incredible ancient forest powder skiing
- Direct day access to the Wavy Range of Wells Gray Park
- Several adjoining valley with many unskied lines waiting
- Very deep and consistently dry powder
- Ski mountaineering and touring season into late May
The lodge offers rustic luxury accomodations that are cozy and comfortable. The upstairs features four bedrooms, three of which contain a large twin and a queen bed, the fourth contains four large twin beds.
Sheets, pillows and pillow-cases are provided. Guests must bring their own duvet or sleeping bags.
The main floor includes a well-equipped kitchen with full size gas range with oven, sitting, storage, dining area and modern woodstove.
Next to the lodge is a second building that contains a cedar sauna, shower, toliets and a handwashing sink.
- Water is hauled and treated for drinking.
- The lodge and sauna building are served by a professionally engineered waste water system.
- The lodge is a cell service and WiFi free zone.
- Communication is by VHF radio and InReach Satellite Communicator
- The warm lodge and sauna buildings feature CERTIFIED efficient wood heat appliances.
- TV and DVD player, as well as a bluetooth speaker is provided.
Transport to Snowy Mountain Lodge is via touring snowmobile and large toboggan skiff from the trailhead near Blue River. The trail to the lodge is generally non-technical, takes approximately 1.5 hours in mid-season trail conditions. It includes beautiful mountain scenery.
A custodian is onsite at all times during the operating season. Staff and custodian stay in the Yurt adjacent to the lodge.
We play in a deep winter snowpack. This area often experiences massive storm cycles with huge new snow inputs. During these times and often in early season the snowmobile path may not be passable right to the lodge and you should be prepared to tour in for an hour or so. In this circumstance, we will advise you prior to your arrival so you are up to date with the travel conditions of your week.
Helicopter access is available through Yellowhead Helicopters. Guests must make their own charter arrangements- staff can assist with logistics. There is no public helicopter service in Blue River so all flights come from neighboring communities of Clearwater and Valemount.
Yellowhead Helicopters yhl.ca